Thursday, February 5, 2009

Performance Rollers 1989 - 2009 R.I.P.



Well, my May-December romance with the Performance Rollers didn’t last long. My youthful gyrations were just too much for her antiquated frame. The front roller started separating from its end cap and I figured it probably wasn’t safe to ride anymore. Time to put them out to pasture.


I’ve been looking at some newer, flashier models (Kreitler) but they are all out of my price range (basically anything north of “free” is out of my price range). For now, my indoor cycling is relegated to the stationary trainer (which is no spring chicken herself, I might add). Hopefully she can endure.


While we are on the topic, let’s talk indoor training. It’s been a pretty brutal winter here in Michigan and it hasn’t been conducive to outdoor riding. I’ve been out once on my ‘cross bike last weekend but that’s it. All the rest of my riding has been indoors.


I really hate riding the trainer. The rollers (God rest their soul) were quite an improvement and gave my AADD brain something else to focus on. Alas, they have gone to a better place. Watching cycling videos helps, but not much, especially when you only have the 2001 and 2003 Tour de France videos to watch. I seem to have lost all my other videos. I believe they were thrown away in a frenzy after spending 10+ hours in my basement, cleaning and organizing.


The indoor trainer sees the worst side of me. Legs spinning madly but not going anywhere, my bum gets sore, my shoulders get sore, I drip sweat all over the place.It also sees the worst side of my gear. My oldest and crappiest cycling shorts and underlayers are kept around for the distinct purpose of the trainer ride. That's not to mention the bulging, dry rotted, worn down to the threads Michelin Axial Pros, who's contact patch only sees action with the cold, metal cylinder of a trainer. No wonder it's a drag...

But, and this is a big but, if you live in a climate blessed with a cold season, you gotta do it. It keeps the winter weight off and keeps me from getting too disconnected from the sport I love.

Maybe that's what it all boils down to: suffering for something you love, is there a better way to show your dedication?

No comments:

Post a Comment