Monday, March 23, 2009

The Sunday Epic

Got my first "Epic" under my belt. A four hour cyclcocross ride of dirt trails, gravel roads and pavement. Our trio consisted of Jan (a friend I met racing 'cross last season), my friend Steve and me.

It was great to be on the 'cross bike again. I've been spending most of my time on the road bike, I forgot how fun and versatile that bike is. Even if you never ever race cyclocross, it's a great bike to have in your inventory.

Back to the ride. It started off on the chilly side (35 degrees) but once the sun came out it warmed up a bit. When I say, "a bit" I'm not talking layers could be shed or anything, but it warmed just enough to take the chill off. Jan was our tour guide for the morning, taking us on an amazing journey over hill and dale with a nice coffee stop 1/2 way. These are the rides I really love. Racing is great and that intensity can't be matched by anything but this is what originally drew me to cycling. That feeling of open road freedom and being able to share that with some friends is one of the best feelings in the world. The post ride sense of accomplishment is nice too.

All in all, it was just about 60 miles for me. Thanks to Jan and Steve for a great Sunday. I'm already looking forward to the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment