Friday, April 23, 2010

Dirty Deeds

I finally made it up to ride with the club this past Thursday. A unique ride (unique as far as I know) of 35 miles almost entirely on the dirt roads around Clarkston. Cyclocross bikes are the order of the day, speeds are pretty fast, and the climbs can be leg-burning.

A few observations:

  1. When you hit washboard bumps at 30 mph, you gotta stay loose. If you stiffen up, the bike responds, and not in a good way.
  2. Riding rollers this winter has helped my sense of balance and stability. I felt a lot more sure of myself.
  3. It was great to ride with the group again - I really missed the camaraderie.

I'm going to make every attempt to do more of these rides. Dirt, washboard bumps, loose gravel and cyclocross bikes - a recipe for a great time and a helluva a good work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment