Sunday, December 28, 2008

The Off-Season, upgrading time

I'm not sure what it is about the off-season but I get this super strong compulsion to drop some serious cash on my bikes (ok, it's always there, just stronger in the off-season). Maybe it's striving for constant improvement, now that I'm not training as hard, my focus turns on improving my bikes and equipment. Not that I can afford to do it, but the urge is there nonetheless... Hell, if it wasn't for my level-headed spouse, they would have thrown me in debtor's prison by now (granted, I'd be behind bars and the proud owner of a Reynolds DV46 wheelset and a pair of TRP EuroX Mag brakes, but that's beside the point) Before I go into my lust list, here's where I'm at currently.
  • Road bikes: Look 261 built up with Campy Record (circa 2002), Colnago Crystal (1996) built up as a fixed gear
  • Cyclocross bike: Orbea Mud built with Ultegra and 105 and Mavic Aksium wheels (2008)
  • MTB: Specialized Stumpjumper (old school, like 1993 or 1994)
If money were no object, (or some wealthy philanthropist comes accross this blog and would like to help out a bike racer who's down on his luck) here's my wish list in no particular order:
  • Reynolds DV46 Cross Wheelset (tubular please)
  • Dugast Rhino tubulars
  • TRP EuroX Mag brakes (I know, a bit excessive but I dig the white)
  • Sidi Dragon 2 shoes (in white)
  • Crank Bros Egg Beater SL Pedals (running some old Ritchey's circa 1994...)
  • Alpha Q cross fork for the Orbea
  • Ritchey WCS handlebar and stem
  • SRAM Red groupo, again, for the Orbea
  • Lynskey Pro-Cross Frame and Alpha Q fork (this would be my race bike, will use the Orbea as a pit bike)
  • TIME VXR Proteam built up with Campy Record (for my road racing pleasure, the Look is getting old...)
That's the short list - meanwhile, until my ship comes in, I'll keep pressing my nose against the proverbial window... Feel free to comment on your own wish list!

No comments:

Post a Comment