Sunday, April 12, 2009

Spring Training Race

Here we go again! The third and final installment of the Flying Rhino's Spring Training series at the track. So far, I've noticed that this race is always fast and it always involves wind. Yesterday was no different as I lined up for the B race, the winds were blowing at about 20 mph and right from the gun the racing was fast. The field was almost 70 strong which is a pretty damn good turn out for a spring race. Could this be a bicycle racing resurgence similar to the 70's and 80's? Maybe it will prompt an American Flyers sequel??

Back to the race - here's the highlights:
  • Big field = lots of squirrely riders
  • Squirrely riders = big crash about 15 minutes into the race (I avoided it)
  • I got into one break, it didn't last
  • My team mate Matt won the prime and the race - he's a monster
  • I need to be a smarter racer, spent way too much energy early in the race (out in wind, losing position in corners, getting involved in stupid breaks, etc.)
  • Finished in the pack (30th - 40th place, does it matter...?)
My bike is nearing the end of it's life cycle... 8 years old and her time has almost come - when the race was over, I noticed my stem was about 3-5 degrees off from straight - it still has a 1" steerer and I'm having difficulties getting the stem tight. I ordered a new stem - hopefully that will help. Otherwise, I may be having a chat with the missus about a new bike. Having just bought a new 'cross bike, I can assure you, it won't go too well.

I'm really fired up to watch Paris- Roubaix today. Allez George, this is your year!! Here's a little video to wet your appetite.

No comments:

Post a Comment