Saturday, April 25, 2009

Overuse Injury

Damn. My right hamstring. It's been my weak link as far back as I can remember and it's coming back to haunt me again. This isn't just a sore muscle issue, it's a body mechanics, ligament/tendon issue. One of those things that creeps up on you and BAM! the next thing you know, you have to take several weeks off just to relieve the pain. Right now it's just a tightness in the tendons behind the knee, running up my hamstring, but there's also a rotational component to it, like my right leg wants to rotate to the outside. In the past, I've had my position evaluated, went to physical therapy, tried massage and chiropractic care - they all helped (some more that others) but the only thing that could really fix it, was backing off my cycling.

What a perfect time to hit me. Just as some of my more important races are coming into sights. I know that the rest time won't hurt my fitness that much. I'm more worried about the mental aspect of not being on my bike. I think that will be harder to deal with then the rehabilitation.

What a cruel mistress, life.

No comments:

Post a Comment